09 August 2012

Toothpicks & marshmallows

It's been so hot this week that I don't let the boys out during the day--we're waiting all the way until 6:30 or 7:00 in the evening to swim a little before bedtime!  Library visits have been our energy-saving solution.  A1 gets a little too comfy and familiar there:

He's been reading these ridiculous Captain Underpants books and I had to explain to him that while I'm very proud of his love of reading, he has to distinguish between dessert reading and meal reading.  I handed him this book, "Here, you can have candy after your dinner."  It turns out that he's pretty pleased with my choice (he loved 20,000 Leagues so this selection was a no-brainer on my part).  This is a good thing because that kind of forceful parenting could have easily led to resentment toward me and disdain for reading--or worse yet, it could have valued Captain Underpants higher as reward reading.  That's how I parent in the heat--no skills, no knowledge, just a whole lot of luck!

A2 made robots out of his connector blocks.  No controversy there!

I didn't want them tempted to venture outside once we got home (lest I'm required to go outside with them to supervise!) so I broke out the toothpicks and marshmallows. Three measly dollars' worth of raw materials and the boys are occupied for over an hour!  Win!

"Look, Mama!  A snowman!"  And then he ate it.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Jules Verne at age 7?! Yowza! Go A1!

Lam said...

Yeah...I used to say that I didn't care what he read as long as he was doing it at all, but if he has a natural affinity for the good stuff, there's no reason I should be happy with the fart and poop jokes and atrocious grammar and spelling of Captain Underpants. He discovered 20,000 Leagues on my shelves and picked it up on his own so I don't feel so guilty about being a sci-fi pusher.