01 August 2012

Little Corona captured by iPhone only

Lars von Trier's Melancholia was as self-indulgently autobiographical and far-reaching in its celestial imagery as was Terrence Malick's Tree of Life, but I enjoyed the former and loathed the latter.  Upon initial inspection, it might seem that the female protagonists made Melancholia easier for me to relate to the story.  But that's just plain silly and underestimates my ability to find common themes that are basic to human experience and thus transcend gender.  Besides, The Lord of the Rings is decidedly a boys' story and I devoured it (See how I didn't say them?  All the cool kids know that it's a single text, not three.).

I suppose I found it easy to relate to von Trier's representation of depression.  Melancholia is a rogue planet that threatens to collide with our Earth and destroy all life as we know it.  And as with its psych jargon namesake, it looms and threatens overhead, receding and encroaching in some undefined, indeterminate fashion that makes it seem terrifyingly omnipotent.  The anhedonia characteristic of depression is shown as paradoxically devoid any matter yet weighing enough to sink all of existence.  It's a cinematic feat.

Completely unrelated iPhonography from today (technically, it's after midnight so it was yesterday):



No comments: