08 August 2012

Discovery Science Center

Given the choice, I would always opt to have a day alone with just me and the boys instead of a playdate accompanied by friends.  But I know that it's important to model appropriate social interaction for the boys.  So that's exactly what I do.  I force myself to schedule time with friends so we can all hang out together as a group, whether large or small.  In fact, I'm so good at faking extroversion that no one believes me when I confess that I'm nearly phobic when it comes to social interaction. 

I don't know why I find it all so aversive.  Whenever I'm with friends, I nearly always end up having a good time.  No...actually, I always end up having a great time!  But this compelling evidence is still insufficient to counter my hardwired preference for the calm and safety of solitude.


Here are the boys during the monthly free day at the local science museum.  I ran into a friend and not surprisingly had a really great time with her and her two kids.  And to think that I never even considered scheduling the meetup even though the accidental meeting was terrific.  Phobic, I tell you...

Their first time on the bed of nails.  It was a great lesson because we'd just read a book about polar bears and we had been talking about how the bears flatten out over thin ice to distribute their weight.


At the California Science Center, you have to pay $5 for time in their hurricane tube.  It's free at Discovery.  Woohoo!

That's us in the frame to the upper left.

That afternoon, we ended up at the library.  The air conditioning was a much bigger motivator for me than the actual books.  A1 is a casual reader but A2 is pretty intense about the whole thing (he gets those furrowed brows from me).

2 comments:

Rachel S. said...

I'm so glad you didn't mind bumping into us! I thought our running into each other was fabulous since having more children around and other parents to talk too is always more fun to me. I'm also amazed at how long we were actually able to all stay together at the museum!

Lam said...

I didn't mind at all--it was great hanging out together! I need to make sure we have some more scheduled playdates with you guys before summer is out--beach on Monday still?