09 July 2012

I feel a little dirty

I was recruited to be the summer Day Camp photographer at the Council's county event this year and knowing that I would have to capture hundreds of boys in a huge variety of settings across wide expanses (okay, we're not occupying the entirety of the facility's 210 acres--but I still walked for many many miles up and down hills today!), I decided to make it easy on myself and shoot JPGs instead of RAW files.  And not just regular ole JPGs, small ones!  In fact, they are the smallest possible setting on my body.

The quality is atrocious--I miss the dynamic range of RAW.  I suppose the ease of file handling (I have to upload to a site that won't take anything over 3000 pixels on the long side anyhow) for so many files is the tradeoff.  How many files?  1070!  I snapped 1070 images today and about 99 percent are staying put.  So that's how crappy the images are.  I'm so used to being able to filter out the bad stuff--but today, they're all keepers!

And I get to repeat the 7:30-3:30 routine tomorrow through Friday!  That's 5 days of 8 hours of photography duty.  I get the feeling I'm going to start slacking off because I'm still completely sweaty and my feet are killing me.  I'm a little dirty emotionally and physically!

So here is A2 being so weird.  He was playing on the edge of the fountain and when I put the camera to my face, he gave me this pose.  I think he's doing the robot.

Here they are waiting for their food to arrive.  Not a great shot, but somehow very realistic in the capturing of expressions.  And at the end of the day, crappy shots of my family are way more fun than crappy shots of random boys I don't even know.

2 comments:

Rachel S said...

Sounds like you're getting a great workout every day this week!

Lam said...

I don't mind the extreme amount of photography or even all that hiking. It's the HEAT! I'm such a wimp in heat.