04 June 2011

Profile pics

A little while ago, one of my Facebook friends posted a status update about her disdain for people who only post photos of their kids.  Uh...yeah.  Guilty as charged.  But the funny part about this friend?  She mostly posts photos of the food she eats!  But I showcase my photography through my kids and I showcase my kids through my photography.  So posting photos of the boys pretty much subsumes my entire list of hobbies and interests right now.

I am, myself, pretty tolerant of all-food posts or all-kid posts.  For some reason, what I don't like are the folks who use their kids as their profile pics.  I mean, I love my kids.  I'm interested in my kids and they are part of my daily existence.  But I am not my kids, you know?

Okay, now I feel bad in case I've hurt anyone's feelings.

Unrelated pics of the boys with their dad, with their karate coach, and at the museum:
DSC_7318
DSC_7320
DSC_7246
DSC_7615
DSC_7627

9 comments:

Michi said...

Totally see where you're coming from on the Your Kids as Your Profile Pic on FB. I've got another friend who feels the same way. It is just kind of creepy.

... then again, I have a My Little Pony up as my current profile pic so I'm not quite sure what that says about me. :|

Lam said...

I'm totally okay with My Little Pony! I'm just not okay with another *person* like a spouse or a child unless the image includes the profile owner him/herself. It's creepy to me! Maybe it's because so much of my mother's identity is ME that I'm sensitive to people seeing their children as themselves. Does that make sense?

Michelle N said...

Yep, totally makes sense! There's one thing with being proud to show your kids off and then a completely other thing to show your kids off IN PLACE OF yourself. CUH-REE-PEE.

Ivan Chan Studio said...

I think given your history, that makes sense how you interpret/respond to the profile pics. I find it irritating when people use their cars as profile pics, and some have complained to me about using my art as a profile pic ("Uh, it's called FACEbook?").

Maybe people have different ways of using stuff like this and the "profile" pic is for them and, strangely, not for the people they interact with? Like a picture frame on a desk?

Hyacynth said...

The one of A1 laughing is INCREDIBLE!

Amber Riley said...

I personally LOVE profile pictures of the person WITH their spouse and/or family because I LOVE to see them all together. Of course i love seeing the kids too so maybe i just like all pictures!!! :)

Amber Riley said...

I personally LOVE profile pictures of the person WITH their spouse and/or family because I LOVE to see them all together. Of course i love seeing the kids too so maybe i just like all pictures!!! :)

Lam said...

@I My FB friends list is comprised entirely of old school friends and current mommy friends. So these are women I know--and I know the ones who live vicarious through their kids. It's less creepy to have a sweet photo of a little one (especially if it's near their birthday) and more creepy to have a photo of a teenage daughter. Dads are always allowed to have photos of their kids as profile pics. See the strangeness and hypocrisy of my philosophy? There's no need to try to make sense of it...it just doesn't make sense!

@Amber I love pics WITH husbands and kids too!!

Ivan Chan Studio said...

That vicariousness is definitely creepy!