02 May 2011

Birthday celebrations

I don't understand birthday parties.  I never had big celebrations as a child and never felt I was missing anything for it.  Admittedly, I've come to enjoy the day-long Facebook postings that come each year.  But for some reason, A1 and A2 have come to want and expect big celebrations!  Maybe it's because we attend the most magnificent parties for their friends.

I'm not familiar with Yo Gabba Gabba, but I could tell how obviously fabulous the food was at this party:
DSC_6823
DSC_6824
DSC_6826DSC_6840
DSC_6827
DSC_6828
DSC_6829
DSC_6830
DSC_6832
DSC_6833
DSC_6834
DSC_6836
DSC_6837
DSC_6838
DSC_6839
DSC_6841
DSC_6844
DSC_6842
DSC_6849
DSC_6896

And then there was this awesome animal-themed one that involved all sorts of amazing hands-on experience with a huge variety of animals:
DSC_6128
DSC_6218

This is from the same animal party--I just think it was hysterical the way their friend had to move the curtain of his mother's hair out of the way.
DSC_6122

And then there was this totally cool western-themed party.  Okay, you can't tell since it's just closeups of the boys eating licorice (they'd only had it one other time in their lives and were especially thrilled):
DSC_8866
DSC_8874
DSC_8921

8 comments:

Ivan Chan Studio said...

I think that's how I'll be with balot once I finally get my hands on it again. (Relating to the licorice thrill.) How wonderful to be thrilled by something like licorice!

I didn't grow up with parties, either, and in Chinese culture usually you're the one treating all your friends at the party, instead of the other way around!

I have since recanted those ways. :)

Lam said...

"balot"?

I don't think it's a Chinese thing.

At every birthday party, whether I'm the guest or the host, the party cost and the favors with which each guest walks away are always more than the value of the gift. Or maybe I need to spend more for birthday presents and less on the guests at our parties!

Still, I think it's an expensive venture all the way around. I'd forgo it all, but the boys attend parties so the understanding they will have their own is already firmly embedded.

Ivan Chan Studio said...

Balot is the Tagalog word for it, I think, but I've heard some VN people use it (probably because I used it and they wanted to use my vocabulary).

It's that duck in the egg thing.

Lam said...

Ah...

Ivan Chan Studio said...

What's the VN word for it?

Lam said...

I have no idea! :/ Wow, that looks really odd in this font.

Lam said...

Okay, today is Mother's Day and I just realized right now that I care WAY more about it than my birthday. So it's not that I don't like to celebrate myself, it's that I'm selective about what matters to me. Like if I got a fancy lens or something from James, it would mean much more if he gifted it on Mother's Day than my birthday.

Ivan Chan Studio said...

Happy Mother's Day!

And I can see the differences between the two days.