02 May 2011

Bad boys

I saw Love and Other Drugs and  found it REALLY offensive!  I'm so sick of the message that we send to little girls--and full grown women for that matter--that bad boys are hiding their hearts of gold and can be fully reformed if you give them enough of yourself.

Because I'm a mother, I see so much of the world as potential lessons to our children (in the collective).  All I could picture when I was watching this movie were little girls who endure infidelity, violence, and similar horrors in the expectation of unlocking that aforementioned heart of gold.  Sure, I believe it's important to see the best in people, to look for and hold onto the positive, but why turn bad-boy-chasing into a full time occupation?  Wouldn't it be easier simply to date the kind scholar instead of the rude hoodlum who's always ditching class and vandalizing public property?  Just sayin'...

COMPLETELY unrelated photos of the boys' St. Patrick's Day parties in their respective classrooms:

DSC_6576
DSC_6580
DSC_6581
DSC_6585
DSC_6588
DSC_6589
DSC_6592
DSC_6593
DSC_6598
DSC_6605


DSC_6614

1222463399_dsc_6630
DSC_6711

DSC_6691

11 comments:

Ivan Chan Studio said...

I seem to remember seeing some of these pics from the other St. Paddy's Day post, but maybe it's my imagination.

Yeah, that's a crappy message. Isn't it in a lot of formulaic romances? Like French Kiss and Pretty Woman? The reformation/redemption/salvation is the turn on, I guess (for the pursuer).

Lam said...

Ah cripes! I have a huge folder of photos to post and must have forgotten to delete these after I posted them. New pics will go up when I next get toy desktop!!

Thank goodness I grew up with Scooby Doo romantic influences! You know how the scary hunchback was never the villain but it was always the (greedy) unassuming looking character? Well, the books I read were the same. The hot smooth talker was also the ass but the nice forgettable guy ends up doing something huge and heroic and becoming unforgettable and the true romantic target by the end of the book. Who knew that teenage trashy novels were smarter than Hollywood?

Lam said...

I can't find the post that has these photos! Was this a recent post? I only scrolled back as far as some Valentine's projects because I assume I'd caught it chronologically.

Ivan Chan Studio said...

Nah, not a recent post I don't think. I just remember that Jell-O thing you were holding...and the kids...the hats...

Ivan Chan Studio said...

Go to Blogger and add the Search box for searching your blog (and/or beyond). Very helpful! I used it all the time on my blog. :)

Lam said...

I did do that but all I could find was another post from 2009. Of course, that was when A1 was at the same preschool so the images are VERY similar because the parade is the same every year!

Ivan Chan Studio said...

I remember you holding up that Jell-O thing!

Lam said...

Rasta rainbow!

Oh...wait, did you know it was a rainbow? St. Patrick's day is so gray for you! :P

Ivan Chan Studio said...

No, I didn't know it was a rainbow!!!

Lam said...

It's mostly red, yellow, and green with a sliver of blue. Hence the rasta rainbow joke.

Ivan Chan Studio said...

Dat's funny!