11 July 2010

Supercool train-theme birthday party

I always feel a little guilty when I take the boys to their friends' parties. They're always so much more...thematic. That they even occur is a whole new world to me. I really didn't grow up with birthday parties. Not in the newly-immigrated-deprived kind of way. It was merely how it was done in my family. None of my cousins had big parties (to which I was invited or had knowledge about, anyhow!) either, so I never felt I was missing out on anything. But these days, the parties are just so B I G . Fortunately, the boys have yet to notice any divergence between the extravagance of their friends' parties and their own small family celebrations.

DSC_4886
DSC_4921
DSC_4915

7 comments:

Lucinda said...

Glad the boys had fun at the party. Thanks for coming it meant alot. It's been such a so long since I've seen you guys. I'm embarrassed that it came across as extravagant (blushing) I didn't mean for it to seem this way.

LH said...

Oh, Lulu, it wasn't extravagant at all! Definitely par for the birthday course! :) But at 5 and 3, my poor kids have had 8 birthdays collectively and only 2 actual parties! One year, I even convinced A1 that his preschool "special day" was his party. Oh my goodness, I'm the one who should be embarrassed! LOL!!

Michi said...

Oh, birthday party guilt!! TLE's birthday parties have also been fairly low-key, contrary to the Filipino gene. (Filipinos party for just about any reason, to excess, EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I am broken.) I just haven't been able to bring myself to do that for TLE because a crowd overloads her, DH AND me. I'm promising myself that I'll do a big birthday party every 4 years to make up for it.

LH said...

@Mich I figure that until kids are off to school and can name specific friends, they don't need a big party. You can have close family over and call it a day. :) Well, at least, that's what I told myself to alleviate the guilt.

Rachel S. said...

Was this at the trains at goat hill junction? I've been meaning to take Claire on one of the public weekends for awhile now!

LH said...

@Rach Yes, it is! I'd never been before and it was fabulous. We should put on of those Saturdays on the calendar!

Ivan Chan Studio said...

I love how you capture them having so much fun with each other.