27 July 2009

365: Lessons at the halfway point

I've been doing this 365 thing for a while now and I think I may have actually gotten some things from it!

1. Taking photos every single day means having to keep my camera on me at all times. This has allowed me the privilege to capture people and things I wouldn't have been able to otherwise--what with the A's having been my sole photographic subjects and all. And I have enjoyed the closer view of the kids on our playgroups because of the way the camera analyzes them.

2. There's no way I would have snapped as many frames as I do now without the 365 project. With all of that practice, I've come to use my eyes differently. I can't always tell what will become a good capture, but I can certainly tell when it's not going to translate well two-dimensionally. That's probably because I've taken my fair share (and then some!) of bad photos. The great part about this is because my eyes are always searching, and thus always finding, amazing visual treats everywhere! I get excited about puffy clouds in the sky, the color combination of the fliers in our junk mail, everything! And that's quite a gift to have receive from this project.

3. I've gotten better at composition because there can be only one (yes, I'm having a Highlander flashback). That means that among a selection of images of the same subject, I have to find the one photo that conveys visual impact and emotion in the way that I intended. I end up scrutinizing every aspect of a photo from side to side, from corner to corner. Strangely, it's not always a "perfect" composition that strikes me the most but the imperfect ones that grab me. And just so this post doesn't go without photos, I'm including 4 SOOC shots of our society garlic and 4 SOOC shots of the sugar snap peas in the veggie patch to show you part of my process of selecting the photo of the day.

garlic-1
garlic-2
garlic-3
garlic-4

pea-1
pea-2
pea-3
pea-4

4 comments:

Ivan Chan Studio said...

Loving the curly tendrils!

Being a photographer (or artist of any sort) is a gift in itself, as you've written. The things we scan for and validate in our environment can give us so much pleasure and joy. It kind of makes the whole "eternity in a grain of sand" meaningful.

And by "eternity" I don't mean immortal Connor MacLeod of the Clan MacLeod!

LH said...

Too bad his eternity ceased in Endgame. Boo! Hiss!

Ivan Chan Studio said...

Tee hee!

Jennifer said...

Woohoo! Blog Lady is back!

Now, as part of my tutorial, I'm eager to hear which pictures you selected, and why.

They're all quite lovely, so it's a tough call. Personally, I'm pretty sold on the bokeh in pea #2.