09 May 2009

365 Photography Project, Week 16

106 of 365: Aliso Beach. Man, I love aging my photos.
106 of 365

107 of 365: It seems so many kids go through the same stages. First, they're oblivious to the camera, then they avoid it (see below), and finally they progress through the "fake smile that makes them look constipated" stage. I'm excited to see this cute little guy's grunting face in a few months.
107 of 365

108 of 365: Yup, a different photo of the same flowers as last week. But they're so easy--no post-processing necessary!
108 of 365

109 of 365: I think I've gotten good enough with flowers that I can just use the photo without edits. Now, if only I could be as good with people.
109 of 365

110 of 365: We had a fancy, dress-up tea for Mother's Day at A1's preschool. It was most fabulous, especially seeing all the mamas slow dance with their babies.
110 of 365

111 of 365: Simple fact of life: nobody can make a little girl smile like her daddy can.
111 of 365

112 of 365: Pick me up!!! Pick. Me. Uuuuuup!!!
112 of 365

3 comments:

Ivan Chan Studio said...

So cute!

I love your aging photos, too. There's a wabi-sabi, bruised-and-battered-but-still-kicking feel to them that's beautiful in a rugged and fragile way.

It's interesting the sensitivity you have to flowers and people. I remember checking out the science illustration program here and seeing how the students illustrated non-human animals wonderfully, but human animals not-so wonderfully. Which made me wonder, how wonderful were the non-human animals? Maybe they were all tweaky like the human figures but we're just not attuned to it. Like faces of a foreign racial group.

Yes, I'm procrastinating.

I.

LH said...

I recall your explanation of scientific illustration as the purposeful exaggeration or distortion of certain facets--and when you do that to humans, I guess you just get a caricature!

Something about humanizing animals makes us go, "Awwww," but something about animalizing humans makes us scratch our heads, huh?

Ivan Chan Studio said...

I think the unusual in these cases get a reaction. Animalizing humans has gotten a bad rap when I think about it--we're always trying to get rid of the "beast" and separate ourselves (think of the images of the Christian Devil and how that descended from Greek and Pagan nature spirits).

And yes! I remember saying that about science illustration--it's what made it literally illustration, "shedding light" on something.

Hm.

I really want to paint. Or draw. Right now.

But I have two papers to write!