14 April 2009

Bitchin' Kitchen!

When you step through our doors, you are transported back to an era without television, a time when wives didn't work outside of the home and spent their time pining for sewing machines and kitchen appliances with all the fancy gadgets. I am, of course, said wife. So imagine my sheer delight when James announced that we could remodel our kitchen as soon as the mortgage is paid off in 8 years! The boys will only be 9 and 11 at that point so we will get plenty of time in the family kitchen before they both fly the coop.

This is our kitchen. I don't love it. And that's hard because I spend about 90% of my waking hours at home in this unloved place.
kitchen1
kitchen2
kitchen3
kitchen4

This is our dining room. I love it. And that's equally hard because I spend about 0% of my waking hours at home in this place.
dining

I think it would be amazing if the unused dining room and the much used kitchen were merged to make full use of the space. I also think that the kitchen could open up a little more to the family room by knocking down the two non-load-bearing partial walls. I don't really have much of a plan outside these two thoughts, but knowing that they might come to fruition some day is just too wonderful!

8 comments:

H F W said...

I'll be honest; I like your kitchen a lot. Maybe it's the island. We've never had an island. I sometimes daydream about taking all of my veggies to an island in the kitchen and chopping them in an uncluttered space. Sigh.
I also like the abundance of alphabet magnets on the fridge door. Seriously.
Yet, I also understand your desire for a remodel. When you've had something for awhile, a change is always nice.

LH said...

Actually, I hate the island--not all islands, just that one. It's not large enough to be functional (okay, that might have to do with the 2 kids who are usually perched on it while I'm cooking), but just big enough to be in the way. The previous owners had it put--kitchen originally had a longer counter/bar instead. I would actually have preferred that to make enough floor space for kids to play while I'm cooking/cleaning.

But really, a remodel would be more for including the dining space into the kitchen than anything. Such a large wasted space!

Um...yeah...that's a lot of magnets!

Ivan Chan Studio said...

Ah, interior design!

Sorry you don't love your kitchen (especially because you spend so much time there).

Start the countdown!

I.

Lucinda said...

Oh I love your house it's awesome! That is awesome to have your house paid off in 8 years! wow! Lucky! What nice reward at the end when it's paid off to get your kitchened remodeled! Sweet!

LH said...

We took out a 15-yr loan, so that's why we're done w/ the mortgage so quickly.

attorneymama said...

Oh, that sounds fantastic! Our kitchen needs a major overhaul, but it is at least 5 years in my future. Enjoy!

The Frugalista said...

I had to LOL @ this. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's from the era vefore tv... but it is definitely 80's-tastic. And I can sympathize. Mine is original '62. Go us!

Brett said...

I agree with Frugalista, this kitchen belongs to a wife who knows how to use a fax machine, and aspires to have a brick cell phone. I'll trade ya! I don't even mind the corian bar around the corner with the snazzy accent strip.