07 March 2009

365 Photography Project, Week 7

43 of 365: Peters Canyon Regional Park: weird sky captured by my rarely used Tokina 12-24mm, f/4 lens. Alas, there's no sense of scale so you can't really tell how B-I-G this scene really is.
43 of 365

44 of 365: It was dusk and I was trying to expose properly for a silhouette effect; unfortunately, I completely forgot about composition. I don't love this picture. It's kinda noisy.
44 of 365

45 of 365: It was our turn to bring in snacks for A1's classroom so we had green grapes, bagels with green cream cheese, and green milk. This is James helping me by ladling the milk back into the jug using a homemade funnel made from a 2-liter soda bottle.
45 of 365

46 of 365: Mothers of two know that just because he gets a younger sibling doesn't mean that your firstborn stops being your baby. I am often in the exact same position with the A's in both my arms.
46 of 365

47 of 365: A1 instructed me to take this photo: I complied. In fact, he very often instructs my photography.
47 of 365

48 of 365: I got this Brownie Twin 20 many, many years ago at a thrift store for next to nothing. I knew zilch about it, but loved its look. Since then, I have learned that it was produced from April 1959 to September 1964--originally manufactured in Rochester, NY but later assembled in the UK from Feb 1960-64. It has a miniscus f/11 lens with vision and brilliant viewfinders and makes 2.25 x 2.25 inch negatives on 620 roll film.
48 of 365

49 of 365: The camera photo worked well yesterday so I took another one today of this lovely and sturdy, all-metal Minolta SR-T 102, which first went into production in 1966 and employed Contrast Light Metering, which was very advanced in its day. It's beautiful--this thing will probably outlast my plastic digital SLR.
49 of 365
When we bought our house, the previous owners, who were divorced and both living in their new respective houses, left behind a lot of items including all of our patio furniture, oodles of kitchenware, rounds of ammunition, and their hopes for a life together. It wasn't until months after we'd moved in that I found this camera in the back of one of the closets. It was in a bag along with some accessories and a Spanish phrasebook, and it made me think of the vacations this camera had seen...and the ones it wouldn't see because this family was no longer a family.

Actually, the circumstances of our move were pretty peculiar since the husband disallowed the wife from entering the home (she had been the one to move out a year prior to the sale) so that by the time Escrow closed and we were handed the keys, her things were still all over the house. She spent a few days going through everything as we were moving in so we got a chance to get to know each other. Like I said...peculiar.

6 comments:

Ivan Chan Studio said...

Wow, what a weird situation with the ex-wife.

I used to collect cameras as a kid, so I really appreciate seeing your collection.

Again, I am entranced by your photography. The one of the Peters Canyon Regional Park and A1 directed photo are my favorites!

I.

LH said...

What was weirder about the wife was her sense of entitlement. We were warned not to harm her possession (which were technically our possessions since they were in our home) and told that she would not call but enter the home freely through the back door when she was ready to pick up her things (we informed her if she trespassed we would call the sheriff). But I suppose if either one of them were halfway normal people, their marriage might not have ended.

As for the cameras, I have 2 others that I got nearly free at thrift stores, but I don't think they're worth anything to anyone except for me.

In the Peters Canyon photo, you can see part of the lens hood on all 4 corners because I was unused to using this lens. That weedy photo that A1 made me take turned out so odd...like the earth is curved. I mean, it's a sloped area, but it looks completed curved on 360 degrees.

Btw, I really love your presence on my blog.

Hyacynth Filippi Worth said...

Oh my! You should make prints of the Peters Canyon Regional Park shot. It's awesome.
I also love the look on the younger boy's face in the shot of the mama and her kiddos. :) Great pictures as always. I love when you post the photography project pictures.

Ivan Chan Studio said...

Okay, with the details, that's even weirder! I think at that point I would have done the "your crap is on the sidewalk" ex routine. :)

Yeah. It's not surprising why people split up (or get together) sometimes. Often. (I think about that Spanish phrasebook and I don't think about the vacations the camera's seen, but probably never seen...I think of broken promises.)

When I collected cameras, their value to me was always in their beauty and what they evoked in me; I would love to see your other cameras, too.

Oh, when people compliment me on my art, I used to point out the "mistakes" I thought were in them, too, or where I had difficulty. People always told me, "I would have never seen that." Usually, this was followed up with, "You're crazy."

I'm just sayin'. :)

(But, as a fellow artist, I do understand. Being the creator of a piece means you will always see things in it, or things you wish you had done differently or not done at all, compared with an outside or uneducated observer.)

I enjoy your blog immensely. An entertatining and enlightening transitional object!

I.

LH said...

Thanks so much, Hy!

I, it could be that people are self-critical pessimists, but maybe it's because, in life, we learn so much more from the failures and mistakes than we do from the successes. Of course, we enjoy the latter more, but there just less opportunity for growth, you know? Oh, and your presence here changes my voice. I think it's much truer now.

Ivan Chan Studio said...

Absolutely--there's the old saying, "Nothing fails like success." I think people can get complacent.

I think there is the feeling of success and there's also the feeling of being complimented; it's an issue I have that I tend to distrust compliments from others, or attribute it (perhaps rightly so) to a compliment being more about the person giving it than about the person receiving it.

It makes me happy that your voice is truer with my presence here (I'll take that as a compliment!). I feel similarly on my blog.

I.