12 February 2009

Tuesdays and Thursdays

It took a little getting used to, but now A2 relishes it when his big brother goes off to school twice each week. He gets to hang out with me in the kitchen.
food processor

And he gets to play with his toys uncontested.
mowing lawn

Such is not the case when his brother is around!
not-mowing-lawn

Of course, it's not always about the epic fraternal battle for power. They actually get along quite well most of the time. Either way, I find that since I am an only child, their interactions with each other are particularly fascinating to me. Sure, I didn't have anyone with whom to argue, but there was no one with whom to giggle, scheme (and trust me, they do!), or cuddle either.

5 comments:

Ivan Chan Studio said...

What an interesting part of your life, to be a mother and to observe your children experiencing their childhood, so different from yours.

It's funny. People assume I'm an only child. Do they assume this about you, too?

I.

LH said...

There have been a few ppl who've guessed that I am an only child. They are themselves only children so they probably smelled on me the need to monopolize a conversation, knowing I am right ALL of the time, and that drive to succeed that courses through my veins! ;)

It is funny that ppl assume you're an only child. There's something very independent and solitary about your nature even tho your connection with others can be and is so deep and genuine.

Ivan Chan Studio said...

Hm, I agree with your assessment of my nature. I think there's a part of me that always feels like an old man on a mountain.

I can't say I ever thought of you as an only child (or noticed those behaviors in any distinct way). Perhaps I just introjected you as a sibling!

I.

LH said...

I worry about the strangest things...like what if one of the boys has a best friend but the other doesn't--and considers his brother his best friend. For some reason, that sort of inequity worries me. I really don't want one of them feeling left out.

Also, does it sometimes feel like we're composing private emails to each other on a completely public level? I mean, it's not like we're saying anything others might find inappropriate or insulting, but the content is not exactly intended for public consumption. The internet (and television too with the reality phenomenon) has really changed so much in the past few years. For the better? I don't know.

Ivan Chan Studio said...

Heh. :)

I think that there is an element of the private in our public conversation, although I think that's the nature of blogs--each person commenting is interacting with the blogger as an individual (and only sometimes with other commentators...commenters...posters?).

I also think it's the difference between process and content. We're sharing a lot in these conversations.

I.