11 February 2009

Lemon curd for foreigners

To the casual observer, I seem well-versed in western customs and all things Americana. However, I'm actually still exploring quite a number of these cultural phenomena for the very first time. Take lemon curd, for instance. I'd never had it before--I'd never even heard of it until it was mentioned in the comments of my recent lemon harvest post. But now I have virtually a vat of it! Sorry for the horrible photo:
lemon-curd

For the sake of perspective, that's a 2.5-quart casserole dish. I think it will be gone by the end of tomorrow (even though I read that it's good for up to 3 weeks in the frig). Dang, this stuff is G-O-O-D!!! And I don't use multiple exclamation points lightly. I can't believe it only took 6 minutes to make in the microwave--and I love that I was able to use ingredients from our own backyard. I modified the recipe from an AllRecipes.com listing.


1 1/4 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
5 lemons, zested
1/2 c. melted butter

1. Whisk sugar & eggs until smooth
2. Add juice, zest, & butter
3. Microwave 1 minute at a time until mixture coats back of metal spoon

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Looooove lemon curd! I've never made it in the microwave but that looks delicious!

LH said...

Anything that calls for a full stick of butter in the recipe cannot be that bad!

I'm always suspicious of simple recipes but this one was so well reviewed by so many people that I had to give it a try.

Hyacynth Filippi Worth said...

I'm so glad you posted the recipe! Thanks. Maybe I can put to use the actual lemons we have left after John makes a batch of Limoncello.

Jennifer said...

My mom frequently used to send me to school with cream cheese and lemon curd sandwiches in my lunchbox. Of course this resulted in quite a bit of mocking, but anyone who actually tried the sandwiches fell in love. They were so good.

Ivan Chan Studio said...

Yeah, lemon curd is like opium. I love it!!!

I remember my stomach curdled at the thought of lemon curd--I mean, what is that, something Westernly gross like bad milk, er, cheese? But then I had some and was in instant love. Butter, sugar, lemons...pure gold.

I'm happy you found such a quick recipe for it. It always seemed so magical to me (okay, labor intensive, like homemade jam), so I would only have it when it was served (which was rare) or if I broke down and bought a jar from Trader Joe's. Now I know I can make it myself (but will probably still buy it--I need somebody to cook for to bother with cooking).

Yeah. Yum. :)

I.