08 February 2009

365 Photography Project, Week 3

15 of 365: You know what I hate more than mounds of dirt from gopher holes? Dandelions growing out of mounds of dirt from gopher holes.
15 of 365

16 of 365: Is there any warmer, safer, or more comfortable place for a 2-week-old to rest his cheek than upon his mother's bosom?
16 of 365

17 of 365: Calla lily, regarded as a weed throughout the world yet treasured in my backyard.
17 of 365

18 of 365: This camellia and the calla lily above came from the same nursery. It's a little strange that I remember whence my plants came.
18 of 365

19 of 365: The Bodhi tree is a ficus, specifically a Sacred Fig. We've planted two such trees in our yard and I love the way the heart-shaped leaves dance in the wind.
19 of 365

20 of 365: I planted pansies in the front flowerbed. In the warmth of So Cal, pansies are a fall/winter flower because heat inhibits blooming.
20 of 365

21 of 365: I caught Paxil sleeping while still sitting straight up. Man, that dog is getting old!
21 of 365

6 comments:

Hyacynth Filippi Worth said...

Oh, Lam, what a sweet newborn picture. Made me feel excited!

attorneymama said...

Oh that newborn picture is so sweet. Over the weekend, my almost-three year old asked to be wrapped in front at the grocery store. He then proceeded to burrow into a FWCC and take a nap! It was heaven.

LH said...

That's our very own OCBWers co-leader Kristen wearing Ryan in a pouch!

Ivan Chan Studio said...

Your photographs have such a painterly quality (have I said that already? Even if I did, it bears saying again). I don't mean that it mimics painting, because it's beautiful photography in its own right--but that there's something so emotive, creative, imaginative, evocative...about your work. (Yes, I called your photographs work.) They're photographs but they go beyond realism.

I would love to paint some of your photographs, too. There have been many, but this one of Paxil tugs at my heart.

And I do love the feminine version of the oft-masculinized depiction of calla lilies.

Not strange at all, that you know where your beloved plants come from; I know who gave me every single gift and when. The memory of origins is like an inscription in a book for a dear friend.

I.

LH said...

I, it makes me wonder if you're partially captivated and influenced by the affiliated narrative. I know that you're a visual artist, but you have such deep linguistic roots that rdg the text offers far more than actual photos themselves, which I don't really think stand well on their own.

Of course, these photos certainly are telling. They mostly speak of my need to simplify the canvas, as it were, by tightly controlling what's in the frame. I hope to loosen up a bit by the time this project is over.

Ivan Chan Studio said...

Hm, no, I'm afraid I enjoy the photographs on their own, independently or complemented by the text.

I read "solitary" often in your choice of subjects and how you frame your shots, rather than control (although being solitary and exerting control certainly go hand in hand).

I.